In late 2017, the fundraising through Changing Stars was complete and we were able to start building a brick-built structure for 2 classrooms. It is a purpose-built classroom with half height walls for the children to see over whilst learning and be able to reach out to their teachers. There is also a multi-height roof to enhance airflow with fans attached to the ceiling to keep the children cool all year round. We have also built a toilet block with flushing toilets for the children to use next to the grass garden for them to play in. All this work was funded by Changing Stars and is one of our proudest achievements.
In addition to the above we have –
- Provided uniforms for every child that attends.
- Painted each classroom with appropriate learning displays.
- Selectively sponsored the most vulnerable children from Mango Tree Nursery in their primary education.
- Provided educational resources and training for teaching areas such as phonics, Numicon, and Base 10.
- Provided every child with a toothbrush that they use daily at nursery and get to take home with them when they leave.
- Give every child a breakfast and snack before lunch time which may be one of their only meals that day.
- Give a monthly donation to cover teacher salaries.
Over the previous 6 years we have brought multiple trips with nursery practitioners (funded by Children’s Corner Childcare, and other teachers from the UK to share their expertise with our Malawian teachers. Could you be the next volunteer to share their expertise?